ORPC Young Adults Ministry

To nurture young adults in their faith, spur them towards Christ-centered living, and to encourage them to care for one another.



       

 

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Reflection on "A Better Resurrection"

Words are very powerful. It can brighten up a person, it can heal a wounded heart , it bridges your world and my world, telling us that no matter how different we may be, there is something in common that we all share. And this became especially vivid to me when Dominic brought us through a session of Poetry Appreciation on Thursday.

Personally, I think poetry goes well with candlelights/moonlight , a nice scenery(mountain/lake). Unfortunately, it was not meant to be that way on Thursday. It was a table, a few chairs and the white board with the poem scribbled on it. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it very much. One of the poems that was read "A Better Resurrection" by Christina Rossetti

I have no wit, no words, no tears;
My heart within me like a stone
Is numbed too much for hopes or fears.
Look right, look left, I dwell alone;
I lift mine eyes, but dimmed with grief
No everlasting hills I see;
My life is in the falling leaf:
O Jesus, quicken me.

My life is like a faded leaf,
My harvest dwindled to a husk:
Truly my life is void and brief
And tedious in the barren dusk;
My life is like a frozen thing,
No bud nor greenness can I see:
Yet rise it shall--the sap of spring;
O Jesus, rise in me.

My life is like a broken bowl,
A broken bowl that cannot hold
One drop of water for my soul
Or cordial in the searching cold;
Cast in the fire the perished thing;
Melt and remould it, till it be
A royal cup for Him, my King:
O Jesus, drink of me.

Sometimes we feel lost without knowing why. We feel down but we cannot describe the feeling. And that is where I feel this poem helps to bring into words what we are unable to express. It speaks for us when we do not know what to say. But it does not simply groan and drown itself in self pity. It points us to the source of our joy and strength as we walk away with hope, fixing our eyes on Christ our Saviour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Contact Us
Announcements
Upcoming Events
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

ORPC Young Adults Ministry powered by Blogger. Template Design by freeblogger-templates.blogspot.com